Friday, December 17, 2010

Playgroup

I think that I mentioned before that we host a playdate at our house once a week. It usually has about 4 or 5 moms and their children in attendance. I plan a fun activity or art project each week.
It's only been going on for 6 weeks or so, but it's been really great to have it in our weekly routine. It also gives a time where Olivia sees other children play with her toys (and her mom). It gives her mom (me) a chance to host, something I love to do, and socialize.
Admittedly, one of the reasons I like it at my house is so that way i don't have to drive to get to a playgroup, Olivia can be on time for her nap, and it makes me clean the house. Truth is out.

It has let me use some ideas that i loved about teaching. It isn't all that i had hoped for, as there are days where lots of kids are fussy and last week moms stayed until 13:30' when it was supposed to end at 11:30.

Anyway, we did pudding finger painting one week out in the sun. This also led to some playing in the bubbles when hand washing started. Timing was good, as it was one of the last sunny days without an accompanying cold wind. This is Olivia's good friend, Aidan and Olivia's diapered bum.


We planned to do Baby Yoga for one of the days but everyone kept talking so we'll do it in the future. Here's Olivia doing a Downward Facing Dog.


I didn't take pictures every week, but here's a list of our activities (I think i have the order right?)

Week 1: intros and free play
Week 2: Discussion about sleep. Art: footprints on canvas (kids were all about 13 months old and just beginning to walk)
Week 3: Discussion about eating. Art: pudding finger paints. We made a custard and added food coloring and the kids finger painted. As long as it dries thoroughly, it's fine to frame it.
Week 4: free play. I think only one person came.
Week 5: Toy Swap and baby yoga (which didn't happen). For toy swap each mom brought a couple bigger toys or a bag of smaller toys to trade with someone else for a week.

That's about it. Future ideas are brewing.

Any suggestions? I know you have had some good playgroups that you and Lenara went to. Do you still attend that?

I thought about:
-Felting (but i need to learn how to do it first. Oh, and I'm going to wait until Olivia stops eating everything she gets her paws on).
-beanbag toss (to practice throwing)
-Snow day (make snowmen and play in the snow)
-fruit leather making (again, I need to learn how to do this before i attempt it)
-I think next week we will do some sort of Christmas activity (nativity dress up?)

Ideally, I'd like to have a routine like:
9:30 arrive and some sort of hello song
9:40 story
9:50 Mom & me activity options (like dancing and/or craft, bubbles,art)
10:00 Mom discussion (topic of the week)
10:15 Snack/Lunch
10:30-11:00 play and chat
11:15: some sort of goodbye song...
Leave!!! (nap time)

This coming Tuesday will be the last one of the year...

Location:Maryland

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lenara saw the downward facing dog and tried it too... but no chance. Olive won! ;))

    ReplyDelete