Friday, December 3, 2010

It's fun actually (Doll Making Part II)







Although this weekend is Daddy weekend and I have lots of time, I couldn't wait for tomorrow - I had to continue with little *** (I have to find a name too!) tonight. First I wrapped the skin color fabric around the head and sewed it tight to the head. So far that was the trickiest part, as I didn't want any wrinkles and a nice looking seam. But the stitches are covered by the wig actually, so it doesn't really matter what the seams look like (good for me). Then I stitched the eyes and mouth. The eyes don't exactly look the same shape wise, but I think it's still ok (I have no idea how I'd undo it, without ruining any of the fabric either...). I decided for a slight smile on the mouth - not the very abstract short straight line, I've seen on most "real" waldorf dolls (which are supposed to be as abstract as possible). I'm pretty satisfied with her facial expression (will add some rouge tomorrow). Next I crochetted the dolls wig - basically like a tight hat, that will be sewn on the head eventually. I'm not quite sure about the hairstyle yet. I thought about just leaving the short curls and adding two buns on the upper (or lower) sides. I don't think I like pigtails with this curly wool. The last pictures shows the hairstyle I liked best - parting on the side and medium long "straight" curly hair. I have no clue yet, how I have to attach the hair so it works. I figure, if I add too many single hair pieces the volume will be odd looking - the head like a big watermelon. Maybe just a few strings all over the head? I really don't know... will have to try tomorrow. But she definitely gained a lot of personality today... the hair makes the biggest difference, I think (I expected the face to be the crucial part). I read an experienced doll maker's blog post, which said, the name gets revealed when completing the hair style... so I'm excited!

To do list for tomorrow:

- do hair
- make a pattern for body
- research on how to make dolls' feet
- make body
(maybe even stuff the baby, let's see how long everything takes)

I couldn't help it:

No comments:

Post a Comment