Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Public Library

I've always loved your pics at the Library. So today, we went to our local public library for the first time (I used to go to another one in the next bigger city) - it's so sweet, I mean small but tempting. 10 Euros for unlimited books throughout the year! I'm very happy! I took home so many books today, I almost had to make Lenara walk and take over her stroller. ;)

They have a perfect diaper changing place, clean toilets, heated rooms, lots of books, CDs, magazines.... I didn't spot a coffee machine, but except for that it seems like a perfect place to hang out in the afternoons. Those are some of our riches:

2 cooking for children books like "quick things for mother and child", just what I need!
2 knitting for kids books (including really cool shoes, hats and a teddy bear I will copy)
1 how to use different wet packs for healing (comes in handy, as I just do potato packs on Lenara for her sore throat and chest, but I wasn't quite sure, if it was the right pack to use)
1 decorating kids' playareas (I already love the idea of painting a whole wall with special chalk board color - so the entire wall is a chalk board! I just wish I had a bigger place... we don't really have free walls to turn into chalk boards).
1 novel "mother mafia" - sounds amusing

Oh, and I almost forgot, some children books as well. ;)

5 comments:

  1. Also about mothers, I got a book called, The Help, that I'm starting. It's a novel.

    Can't wait to see the knitting and the decorating. Maybe there's a recipe in the book for chalkboard paint, but if there isn't there is one on martha stewart's website so you can make the chalkboard paint any color. I think you add grout powder. Also, I am thinking about doing that, but outside on the patio.

    What are packs? What's a potato pack or wet packs? I am definitely interested in these if they help kids mend from being ill!

    Big hugs, K. Miss you. WIsh we could all play together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you send me the link to Martha Stewart's site? I was already thinking, that the paint would be too expensive... maybe this would be a cool solution. ;)

    Actually I looked up the word "wet pack" in a dictionary, as I didn't know what it's called. Like you put onions in a piece of cloth and put it on the ear against ear infections/aches. It helped Lenara so well one time, it's said to stop the pain quickly. Or you can use potato (hot) or curd (cool) as wraps/packs around the neck against sore throats or around the chest against bronchitis (never do when a fever is involved though). I had a very good experience using packs for avoiding a breast infection when I was first breastfeeding. I can recommend this: use a warm cloth around breast and a couple drops of nursing oil (a special oil, which started the milk flowing even before the baby sucked!) before nursing - then nurse, after use cold curd packs around breast. I did this the first couple of weeks every time I nursed my baby. Sounds like a lot of effort, but it wasn't. I had a thermos with hot water and a wash cloth near my bed + the oil and I had prepared a couple of curd cloths in the fridge. So when nursing time came, I simply took out one of the curd cloths which I took to the nursing place and had everything at hand to start the procedure. I never had any type of breast problems. It always makes me sad that breastfeeding causes so many Mothers problems and they get frustrated and stop breastfeeding right away.

    I bought a special wool wrap with velcro ties for kids (pharmacy). That way it stays on L tightly.

    There are many more "packs" (or whatever!) for different problems, some involve oils, herbs, lemons... I'm just learning about them myself. But the ones I listed, are the ones we've used so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids playarea decorating book is not as great as I expected. Some nice idea, but overall it's very "upper class American" - the way they style the rooms. And sometimes the explanations for why they recommend stuff sounds hilarious - very unnatural, some mix of marketing/empiric language - def not like a child would really care. ;) I checked out the info on the book, and it's really made in the US, original title "kids's rooms" bei Weldon Owen Inc. San Francisco - maybe you'll find it in your library...

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, I just looked it up via google and it's published connected to pottery barn kids. I loved that store!!! We even brought home a couple items from our last visit to the US. LOL. So my taste must be "upper class American Style" I guess... sorry, for making fun about it. ;))

    ReplyDelete