Monday, February 28, 2011

Financial Management

Uff! February is over. Almost. This month I tried to keep track of my financials very seriously as from now on I'll have 200 Euros less than before. For Februar I got 829 € unemployment support (Alg 2 for me and L), about 200 € child support from my ex, and 184 € child benefits. Substracting my monthly fixed costs (like lease, insurances, electricity, phone/internet, nanny) there are about 450 € left for food, toiletries, gas, medicine, gifts and "fun" extras (like wool for knitting, coffees to go, thrift store goodies, clothes). I calculate about 200 € for food from the discount grocery store (which I'll have to recheck, if it's true at all). Turns out this month I spent about 20 € OVER THE BUDGET!

I don't know whether to be happy or sad. I mean, ONLY 20 Euros. That's pretty close to the goal and incredibly good, considering I haven't watched every penny. I just overall tried to safe as much as I could. On the other hand it means, I should be safing EVEN MORE money. In fact it means no more thrift store shopping for fabric OR using my car only half of the month OR not drinking coffee anymore OR (I think that's what I'll do) not buy diapers anymore.

I was hoping the result would be more clear as it should be the basis for my decision whether I have to get a job on the side or not. I'm allowed to earn 100 € extra without loosing (parts of) the unemployment support. But it will be hard to find an official job for that little amount of money, plus one that fits into my schedule with Lenara (the options basically are working at night from home or taking her with me during the day).

Maybe I'll wait another month and first of all try selling more stuff on ebay and the local second hand baby fairs. And maybe making some little girls' dresses to sell on DaWanda. I seriously should find out the terms & conditions at DaWanda.com. I don't think it'll bring a lot of money, as a lot of people are selling similar stuff, but I could at least try (in the beginning 20 € would be just enough to keep my account in balance). It's something I can do from home at night. And it's something I want to get better at too. It's just not so easy to accomplish considering the last post is still valid: I feel very exhausted now. I have to be very careful with my time.

To be continued... I'll have to think everything over.

Does anyone know a well-off attractive Single willing to take care of us? I cut out on "attractive", if neccessary. LOL.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining too much. I'm really grateful that in Germany I have the option to stay home with my little girl for the first years - of course for the price of having a tiny budget. It really takes some skills to live with that budget, and I'm seriously proud of how well we are doing with it. Having worked as an account manager before wasn't all that bad. ;) And I know other families who don't have a bigger budget, even though both parents are working - which must be even more frustrating. Right now I'm in a transition phase. I got to figure out my general financial condition with this new budget and my priorities before moving on and being smart about decisions. Wish me luck (again).

Now I got to get ready to pick up Lenara from the Nanny -- 10 km by bike. Trying to implement my resolutions right away. Wish me luck (again). ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment