Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Of Birds, Woods and Magical Spots

These will be given to our Mini-Club host on Friday. The semester is over. Some of us (including us) won't go back, so we'd like to say "Thank you" (on the little note the bird is holding):



Just realized how nice they would look on Lenara's shelf. Darn:



These went to our friends in Munich last weekend. The birds are matching the kitchen colors perfectly! But it will be placed in a different room. I'm so happy they loved it:




I'm so crazy about collecting branches at the moment. There are so many beautiful surfaces and shapes. Right now is the time for tree cutting, so I find piles of cut branches everywhere. My Mom kept making fun of me last week, as on our walk I spotted all the branch piles from far away. LOL.

[added later]

Mommy in wood heaven! Although we didn't bring home too many. Just a nice selection.




This one will be filled with birdies soon. It just took me 45 minutes to get it tight on the wall. Uff! Hoooorray for me being such a determined Single:


[/added later]

Today we took the bike into the closest woods, which I have never done so far (don't ask me why). We found a beautiful spot: some fallen trees, which made perfect benches to sit on, a shallow water stream running through that spot, a huge tree and several smaller bushes to play hide and seek. I can just picture that spot in spring and summer. I'm sure we'll go back there many times. You should have seen Lenara's eyes, when we walked from our bike off the little path into the woods - they were shining to say the least! I seriously have to consider the "Waldkindergarten" now. I know she would love it. They take kids aged 3+ and they spend all the time in the woods. For heavy weather conditions they have a little shelter, but the rest takes place outside - peeing, pooping and digging it, playing, building shelters, learning about animals and plants... We returned with cold feet (Lenara had walked straight into the stream, water up to her knees and I wasn't fast enough, or rather I watched her but couldn't believe what she was doing until I finally got myself moving) and our bike trailer full of interesting looking branches...

When I told Lenara to go to bed tonight, she ran through the dark hallway... and soon after I heard some loud noises. The poor thing had tripped over Mommie's stupid branches. She already seems pretty annoyed with my latest passion.

5 comments:

  1. I really love all of these. Like with your doll, I can feel that your soul is going into these gifts, and that's beautiful. The birds are so pretty and I love the branches that you are picking out. ALL of them!

    I have only seen the mobiles so I am liking that they are on the branches.

    We wish that Waldkindergarten was here. That sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you secure the branch to the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're heading up to the woods tomorrow and I have a feeling there are going to be some branches that will get a new home tomorrow. : )

    Inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put 4 screws in the wall (behind the branch) and painted them white. Then I took strong see-thru thread, wrapped it one time around the branch (you can see it when you stand close but not far away) and secured it to the screw. The difficult part was the weight of the branch and me only having 2 hands which I needed to make the knots on one side. So I kinda had to balance the whole thing on my shoulder while securing it at one end... and it took me some time to figure out the thread that worked. A couple of tries failed before I found this solution. It would have been a funny scene, if anyone had watched me do this... ;)

    ReplyDelete