Sunday, January 9, 2011

Shirring (Shirt Skirt)

I love this tutorial and I have spent a couple of hours by now at my sewing machine, try to figure out how shirring works. It just doesn't work out! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've looked at several tutorial and it sounds so simple. Jen, have you done this before? It would be perfect for our girls' summer outfits... and I want to do a skirt for myself.... but I'm so frustrated now.

Here's the link The Shirt Skirt

This is said to be a good tutorial: shir madness tutorial

And another tutorial I liked (with good pictures step-by-step): Pretty Ditty. This lady points out that the shirring effect only starts appearing a couple of rows down the road. This was helpful. No wonder I got frustrated after the first row. And she says to water spray the fabric after you finished - the wrinkle effect will turn out more and even. I'll try this next time.

The author also recommends this book (there must be a shirring tutorial in it too): Weekend Sewing - more than 40 projects for inspired stitching. Sounds like our style!

2 comments:

  1. Are you using elastic thread? It's special thread that is thin like thread but it's elastic and stretchy.

    I haven't ever done shirring, but the thread seems to be the key. It looks like an awesome tutorial and I think that you are right about it being a key part in our girls' summer outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mistake was: I used a zick-zack-stitch instead of the simple straight one. And like I found out in this new tutorial I just added to this post - the shirring effect will only show after a couple of rows. Someone could have mentioned that earlier! ;)
    The only challenge I see now, is, making sure the hand spooled elastic in the bobbin will last another full row. I guess it takes some experience to figure this out.
    But I love love love the effect. I'm so excited about it - can you tell?!

    ReplyDelete