Tuesday, January 18, 2011

over parenting

I was reading on Babble.com today and found a really interesting article on Over-Parenting. I like that they noticed that there is that element in America. It may not exist in Germany.

Perhaps I am just attentive (I like to think so) but...

Maybe I am guilty of it. The article was pretty intriguing and I agree with most of the points about instilling in the children an ability to entertain themselves and learn without interruption. We, pretty early on, agreed on not interrupting Olivia's process of learning, even though it was sooo incredibly hard not to help and to narrate and help her explore. It's been fun seeing what kind of "outside the box" things she does when we don't teach her that something is supposed to be used in a certain way.

After some non-internet time, maybe you'll be interested in the article on www.babble.com

Anyway, I don't want to write too much about it before you read it.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Will read it sometime soon. Thanks for sharing! I'm worried about the same thing. Yet, I'm quiet confident about what I'm doing (or intentionally not doing) most of the time... but sometimes comments of other people make me wonder... we'll discuss more soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete