Thursday, March 3, 2011

We survived Fasching Hell

Wow! What an experience. Remember my last post about an intense moment (Being tolerant)? Well today "intense" is not even said enough. I'm still in shock and I'm surprised, my baby is sound asleep.

We went to our first Kinderfasching.

To be honest, I had already been wondering all day, if we should go or not. I knew it would be crowded and loud and I wasn't sure, if Lenara was old enough to handle it. Little did I know HOW crowded and how LOUD it was going to be.

I remembered my own Fasching-history. Fun. So I was all excited to take my little girl for the first time.



We came late, so we didn't have to pay the entrance fee. Yay! The event took place in a local gym. It was huge. And most of it in the dark. Only some flashing lights - very hard to adjust to. When we arrived they had some games going on (like kids wrapping each other in toilet paper). We tried to adjust to the crowd. We didn't know where to look. I had difficulties to get oriented myself. Lenara's eyes got wider and wider. Most people were dressed up - fairies, pirates, anything! Anything!!! Crazy! Criss-crossing through the gym. Some of them crashing into my calves. No kidding.

Suddenly I was faced with an older and fatter version of a Highschool friend. Last scene I recall of him, was him driving drunk and totally crashing his car over 10 years ago. Next thing I see, is him - the older fatter version of him - with a toddler on his shoulders, a 5-year-old princess encircling us and a "Native American" wife sitting next to him. What a picture. I can just imagine my puzzled face. Some awkward small talk and off we went into the crowd - partying.

Well, not exactly. They put on dancing music. Blasting! B-L-A-S-T-I-N-G. I was worried about going deaf. Even more worried about Lenara and all those toddlers, infants, pre-schoolers and elementary kids around. Did they forget this was supposed to be a children's event? What were they thinking?! I was terrified.

I looked around. The other Moms didn't seem to notice the volume. Most kids seemed to have fun. Something wrong with me? I watched Lenara carefully. Trying to figure out, how she was doing. I felt awful for taking her in this place. She didn't really show any reaction. She generally seemed interested in what was going on and trying to figure out what all those people were doing. Next, a girls' dancing group went on stage. I was about to cry, as it reminded me of my own childhood dances I put on. I don't think it would have touched me at all, if I hadn't been in a state of emotional alert at this point.

Now, what to do? I figured, if we'd go outside right away, before Lenara figured out what this was all about (meaning: meant to be fun), it would be even more confusing for her. So I made us stay and kept watching her reactions carefully. She seemed to get used to the environment. She wanted to be put down on the floor. Older kids almost ran over her. She didn't mind. Just looked. And looked. And looked.




She didn't join the dancing action. But something caught her attention in the back corner. She took my hand and dragged me to that spot. Older boys were involved in a pillow fight. Lenara watched them for a little while and then it seemed like she worked up all her courage, ran foward, stole one of the pillows and came back to me - all proud. What? All princesses, fairies and belly dancers were dancing on the other side of the gym - and all my little girl is interested in - a pillow fight!? How amusing is that?! I love her.

While my head didn't stop spinning and ringing and flashing, Lenara warmed up to the whole scene and even started dancing with all the older kids. Once again she totally surprised me with her reaction.



I couldn't believe it! Have you closely listened to that song? It's about Burger King, McDonald's & Co. "I want it. I need it." Are they serious?! Is that a new marketing strategy? At Kinderfasching? Again: I couldn't believe it! Times have changed. Obviously.

I asked my daughter several times, if we should leave. No reaction. Going with the crowd. After an hour in that crazy place, Lenara turned to me and said: "Mommy, Lala rather likes shopping." I was relieved and we left to go grocery shopping.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, her face in the third picture is priceless. So aware of everything it seems! She is looking more and more grown up, I can't believe it. I'm glad you both survived!! And I'm glad she got a little bit of dancing in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told her: Baby, I'm sorry, I took you in this place. But now we got to make it fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete