Monday, November 28, 2011

How to knit a Farm OR our own little Christmas Story

Our day nanny encouraged us parents to think about our own Christmas and Advent traditions. Once again I realized that so far most traditions stem from my own parents. I'm really willing to find some own and implement something meaningful into our own little family (it's really interesting, now that we have a male part added to our mini-family, I start feeling more like a separate family - seperate from my parents' family and aware of our own unit).

One idea was to realise a little story into a Waldorf season's table kind of scene. I bought this book for Advent. It tells about two stars leading a cock, a sheep, a donkey and a cow to the house of baby jesus. It's very simple and perfect for 2-3 year olds.



So for the first advent Sunday I set up a natural scene. Lenara is so proud of her own little christmas tree. ;) We don't have room for a real christmas tree, so I thought this was a really cute idea.



I will make a star and we'll add it to the scene tonight (I meant to do that yesterday, but I only got the book from Amazon today). The following Sundays until Christmas I'm planning to add the animals and eventually the scene with baby Jesus. And I'm hoping we'll read the book every once in a while, so the scene becomes meaningful.

The only problem: I don't have any of the animals/figures... except for a sheep and baby Jesus (in a nutshell). So I looked up how to make them. I don't have a lot of time, so I'm happy this story just includes 4 animals. And I just found some really awesome free instructions for knitting a farm in Waldorf style.

I'm not sure, if it's easy enough for me and the little time I have. But I really want to do it. Besides it's an awesome idea to make more animals at one point.

I'm really excited about this new TRADITION becoming alive. Fingers crossed...



1 comment:

  1. Fun thought and yours turned out adorable. Most of all, the tradition happened and it had meaning and created good moments for you both. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete