Sunday, September 9, 2012

I hope you like jammin' too

I couldn't resist the title.
It's been lively here the last few weeks. Warm. Not raining. Sunny, even. And that's saying a lot since we live in this "Pacific Northwest" part of the country known for its wetness.
But, all that rain brings loads of berries. They literally grow as weeds here; taking over everything else that tries to grow. Luckily, we found a good way to utilize these fruitful weeds here. These days, our freezer is chock full of Ziploc freezer bags full of blackberries. (I know, you love them, too).
Today, I canned. In two hours I did two batches of jam. The first one was strawberry jam (I thought we were all out. Right after I resolved lamenting, I found two freezer bags full of strawberries just begging to be turned to jam.)
I grew up thinking that canning was this mysterious and difficult process. My mom wasn't geared toward kitchen projects, though she is a thoughtful and talented homemaker. So, to me, I feel like I'm doing something that is new and productive. I like the feeling of preserving an otherwise very perishable delicate fine fruit.
On one occasion in the last few weeks, we picked a big box of berries. We carried on throughout the day doing our park playtime, dinner, bath, bed routine and by the time I peeked on the berries at night, the top layer had already began to get fuzzy from mold.
I digress.
Here you have it, Sister. It's what's for dinner. : )



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment